Saturday, November 6, 2010

This Blog

I've been thinking about this blog again.  I've gone back and reread everything from the beginning.  I think it's interesting the direction it's gone.  There's a lot about me that doesn't appear at all, and that wasn't intentional, that's just how it has unfolded so far.  For instance I follow politics, like football (Go Riders!), was pulling for Josh Hamilton and the Rangers to win the World Series, take pictures all the time (although only with my cell phone cuz my camera died), and journal incessantly.  I don't think I've really mentioned any of that.  Interesting.

My question, for me, and you too, I guess, is how personal do I allow this blog to be?  Last night, I felt, was pretty personal.  My eyes were burning tears as I wrote.  I wonder if it is good to be this open, online anyway.  However, there's few places in my life where I feel I can be this open in person.  Once again, carry over from my younger years.    And there's other things I want to discuss as well which are generally of a personal nature that I haven't touched at all yet.  Should I?  Is it too much of me?  Is it too much for you?  What could the repercussions be further down the road?

Also, no person is an island.  Eventually I will probably talk about people in my life more often.  I don't want to spread people's names around the internet or disclose anything they may not want so I will continue to keep people as anonymous as I can.

I guess I will always try to stay true to my mission statement.  "To allow you to know me."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yah you said it; stay true to your mission statement....only you know what that's gonna look like!

Ok I'm gonna share my first real opinion on this blog....I know I kinda said this before but you are missing out on the authentic and genuine response(s) that "in person" conversation could bring you. I have ALOT more thoughts and feelings as I read through your entries that I couldn't possibly convey to you in these comment boxes and so...I don't....and I'm afraid others won't either.

Of course you could write more personal stuff and people will always be interested to hear it but you are leaving that information in the readers hands to do with whatever they choose. Don't you want to know how your entries TRULY effect others? Overall it feels like a very onesided conversation; and I think you should rather question why do I want to allow other people to know me??? Sorry if it sounds harsh...just my opinion.

No I don't think your last entry was too personal because it was simply your opinion on the issue of poverty and the brokeness of this world. It should inspire compassion and awareness in others and cause them to think about where they stand on this subject. I like the note at the end also!

Clinton said...

Thanks for your opinion Diane. Authentic.

First, this blog isn't my attempt at replacing real life relationships, it's almost a precursor to it. For instance, you and I will probably chat in the real world because of it. I like genuine and honest feedback, but I don't need it. It would be great to know how or if any entries affected anyone, but I may never know. That's ok with me.

Several months ago I met a person that changed my life, just by being themselves. They probably have no idea, and some day I may tell them, but I'm not ready to yet. Perhaps this blog may do the same with someone else in this crazy world.

I'm content with this "one sided" conversation right now because, for me, it's not that it's one sided, it's that I'm opening myself up for the first time in a very long time.

And I think that's a good thing.