Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Happy Song

Sometimes you just have to play the Happy Song really loud and dance.



I was feeling kinda sad the last couple days.  One reason is the end of the book study I have been involved in.

First, I have to go backtrack a little bit.  For the last few years I have been working in remote communities in Northern Canada.  It was good, but it was isolated.  For an introvert like me that's not a huge deal, but I did feel spiritually dry and somewhat lonely some times.  I tried to make an effort to go to church or see some friends on my time off in the south, but it was rare.  Several months ago I took a new job with a different company which allows me to actually live in the place I call home.  It lets me be involved with things I couldn't be involved with while working in the north.   Church is awesome.  I never appreciated how much it means to me or how my life with Jesus is dramatically enhanced through it.  And I am starting to appreciate people.  For too long everyone was a stranger to me, but now I actually have time to spend with people.  I didn't realize what I was missing out on until I came back south and saw all the relationships and friends everyone seems to have.  It blew me away because that is something I have not had for a very long time.

The book study I have been a part of the last 6 weeks was the first thing I have been involved with in years.  It was a time of learning and sharing, but it also contained social elements that I haven't experienced in quite a while.  It was the place I first started connecting with people in the church.  It holds a special place in my life because of what it became to me.  Now that it's over I feel a little sad.  It was a good place for me to be.  I never realized how alone I had let myself become up north, until I returned to the south and experienced what gathering with other Christians could be like.  This study group helped me a lot, simply by allowing me to socialize with people on a regular basis, which is not something I do too often.  I will miss it.

Now is not the time to be sad though.  One chapter may be ending but hopefully a new one is beginning with C&C.  It's a new opportunity for me.  I hope it will allow me to continue my growth, closer to God and closer to people.  I pray that I will make friends.  It's been a while since I could say I've made true friends.

And tonight I felt like playing the Happy Song and dancing.  So I did.  You should too.

No comments: