Monday, December 20, 2010

This I Know

It is an interesting time of year.  Christmas approaches.  There are a lot of thoughts and feelings and memories associated with Christmas that are swirling about in my head.  What is interesting about Christmas this year, at least for me, is that it is the first time in 5 years I don't have to work.  Strangely enough, it is also the first time in 5 years my immediate family does.  So we did Christmas this weekend, a week early.  And now, as the rest of the world builds towards December 25th with travel plans and baking and family and programs and presents, I am in my dénouement.  It is interesting for me because all the externalities of Christmas are already in the past.  Don't get me wrong though.  Family, friends, vacation, food, programs and presents are all good, but when everything is stripped away Christmas is about Jesus.  While most people are building towards December 25th I am simplifying.  When Christmas rolls around it will just be me and Jesus (and maybe a little Macaulay Culkin).  I don't think it is a bad thing to have a Christmas like this at least once.
The great Swiss-German theologian Karl Barth delivered one of the closing lectures of his life at the University of Chicago Divinity School. At the end of the lecture, the president of the seminary told the audience that Dr. Barth was not well and was very tired, and though he thought Dr. Barth would like to open for questions, he probably could not handle the strain. Then he said, "Therefore, I'll ask just one question on behalf of all of us." He turned to Barth and asked, "Of all the theological insights you have ever had, which do you consider to be the greatest of them all?"
This was a remarkable question to ask a man who had written tens of thousands of pages of some of the most sophisticated theology ever put on paper. The students sat with pads and pencils ready. They wanted to jot down the premier insight of the greatest theologian of their time.
Karl Barth closed his eyes and thought for a while. Then he smiled, opened his eyes, and said to the young seminarians, "The greatest theological insight that I have ever had is this: Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so!"
~ From Let me Tell You a Story by Tony Campolo.

I think on Christmas I will sit and think about this for a while.  I will play my guitar, maybe at the church, in the sanctuary.  I will read my bible.  I will pray.  It will be a good Christmas.

No comments: