Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Christmas Gift

I really wanted to go caroling last Sunday but I had to work.  I had a chance to make up for it this Christmas Eve.  Our church is putting on a candle light service.  There will be songs sung and people blessed and I really wanted to be a part of it.  It was my chance to gain a little of what I missed on Sunday and see some people I'd like to see before Christmas.

But tonight I gave a present to a co-worker.  She was scheduled to work tomorrow evening and I was scheduled to work in the morning.  By trading shifts she can now spend time with her family this Holiday because she won't be able to spend time with them on Christmas Day.  This gift didn't cost me anything, but it did require that I miss our church's service.  Nuts.  I really wanted to be there.  I had every right to decline her request.  She knew she was expected to work Christmas Eve.  I think that's what makes this a true Christmas gift.  It's a gift of grace.  Something was given that couldn't be earned and wasn't deserved.  It was received with joy.  And the giver had to make a decision to sacrifice something in order to give the gift.  That is what Christmas is really all about.  I hope this lesson isn't lost on me this weekend.

Slightly unrelated, my coworker's name is Bliss.
Dictionary.com defines bliss as utter joy.
That seems appropriate this time of year.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Remember the reason for the season =)
Clinton

No comments: