Friday, December 31, 2010

Answered Prayer

I am sometimes surprised when I see an answer to prayer.

I know that sounds strange.  Why even pray at all if you aren't expecting an answer?  Maybe it's just that I expect the answer to be, "No," or nothing at all.  That's starting to change though.

I wrote previously that I had a friend who's father wasn't expected to live past Christmas.  A week ago his family was planning his funeral.  Several days ago an issue was identified that was creating many other problems with his health.  When this issue was addressed the other problems decreased significantly.  The result is that my friend's dad is now healthier than he's been this entire year.   I would have to call that an answer to prayer.

And I have seen an answer to prayer in my own life.  I usually find it difficult to pray for myself.  My life is good.  I have a job I like.  I don't earn a lot of money but my bills are paid.  I have a roof over my head and a 15 year old car that gets me from A to B.  I am in good health.  I am so fortunate compared to much of the world I feel guilty  praying for the relatively insignificant needs/wants in my life.  However, I have been praying for a little thing.  It's a very little thing.  It's a thing I didn't think would happen and yet, this weekend, it kinda did.  And it was good.  Now I am being a little braver and asking for a slightly larger little thing.  We'll see how this goes.

It is interesting to me that the God who created the universe, and saves us from our sins, and heals a dying father, would take interest in a little tiny area of my little tiny life.

Look at the birds of the air.  They don't sow or reap or gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not more valuable than them?

No comments: