Friday, January 21, 2011

Perceptions

It is amazing how we perceive things, both and good and bad.

I recently met someone who's blog I have been reading for several years.  I felt as though I got to know this person somewhat through the blog but there were still gaps that my mind must have filled in.  For instance, this person did not sound how I thought they would.  I know it's only a blog and it would be ridiculous to say it's possible to learn the sound of a person's voice through their writing, and yet I had expected this person to sound the way I heard them in my head.  This person was also shorter than I expected.  Same point again.  It isn't possible to figure out a person's height just by the thoughts they put on the internet, but I felt sure this person would be as tall as me or taller.  Strange.

So, I wonder how you, the reader perceive me, the blogger.  Am I tall or short, dark or fair, ripped or wimpy?  Funny or Sad?  I wonder how close your perception is to the actual truth, or even my own perception of me.

I wonder how close our perception of God is compared to reality?  I bet we as individuals only have a tiny portion of the whole.  That's why we need community, among a host of other reasons, to fill in the gaps we all have, and see the complete picture.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Hey I love Gomer's theme but I forgot about it, thanks for the reminder!

Should be interesting to find out how people percieve you, I've always wondered the same thing about me!

Oh man I bet your last paragraph was inspired by last night's C&C talk?! I just wanted to mention that I was particularly moved when he said if you are feeling lonely or that you can't connect with God it's because you're not connecting with his body aka the people he has placed in your life. Oh and imagine all the wisdom we could gain if each of the people in that room were to write out their life lessons.

Clinton said...

Actually, I wrote this entry shortly after Christmas, I just didn't publish it until now. C&C may have inspired me to post it now though.