Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Music and Christian Music

This will be a scatterbrained entry.  I'm just throwing stuff out there, without much organization or editing.

I'm a fan of music.  All music.  Yes, even that music.  I'm not a huge fan of the distinction of "Christian" music from other genres.  Really, what is Christian music?  Is it music about Jesus? Music for Jesus?  Music by Christians?  Music by non-Christians about Christ?  Jesus' own personal compositions?  How many JPM's do there have to be to qualify?  I find it amusing to go to a music store and find bands like TFK and Skillet in the Gospel section.  And for that matter, why aren't the Beastie Boys considered a Buddhist Band?  They are all Buddhists.  None of this really matters.  I'm just typing as I think, without much filtering.  Is there really such a thing as Christian music?  This is just a tiny piece of a larger thought that I have been wrestling with.  What does it really mean to be a Christian?  I'll try to tackle that one some day.

Blurring the line between music and "Christian" music is P.O.D.  They are a band of Christians, as opposed to a Christian band.  Obviously their style doesn't fit well in a traditional worship service, but it was never meant to.  One of the great things about P.O.D. is that they are musical trailblazers.  They forged their own trail.  No one sounds like them and they sound like no one else.  Fusing hip-hop, funk, punk, rap, R&B, rock, and reggae into a unique aural experience, P.O.D. has gained an immense following in the general music world, and somewhat coincidentally, Christian music world.

Jumping into the public's notice after releasing their CD Satellite, and it's first single Alive, on the infamous Sept 11, 2001, their positiveness offered a sharp contrast to a world of pain.  Alive was one of the biggest songs of 2002, which is amazing because it speaks of the joy of coming to a saving realization of who Jesus is.  Not something usually found in the public consumption of music.  P.O.D. received a Grammy nomination for Best Hard Rock Performance for the song Portrait (warning: graphic fan vid), which includes the lyrics:
You're not who they say you are 
They made you the enemy 
(CHRIST-Jah flesh; CHRIST-Light within; CHRIST- Beginning and the end) 
Taken something so beautiful 
Painted a new picture that makes me sick 
(CHRIST-Witness; CHRIST-Living one; CHRIST-First and the last) 
Feed our minds confusion 
Sweeten the taste of pollution. 
(CHRIST-Word life; CHRIST-Resurrect; CHRIST-Everlasting Jah) 

I refuse to be like you 
Without life, empty, caving in 
(CHRIST-Jah flesh; CHRIST-Light within; CHRIST- Beginning and the end) 
I surrender, giving up all that is me 
Yielding to you 
(CHRIST-Witness; CHRIST-Living one; CHRIST-First and the last) 
Shape me in my brokeness 
Empower me forever 
(CHRIST-Word life; CHRIST-Resurrect; CHRIST-Everlasting Jah) 

I know you will complete this work started in me 
I need you more than ever now that I know who you are 
I know you will complete this work started in me 
I need you more than ever now that I've come so far
Where traditional Christian musicians may not have influence, like the bars, the night clubs, on Howard Stern and such, P.O.D. is a headliner.  They have toured with Ozzfest, Van's Warped tour, Virgin Music Festival, as well as Christian gatherings like Youth Quake and Creation Fest.

From their Testify album, here is their collaboration with Hasidic Jewish rapper, Matisyahu, entitled Roots in Stereo.  You may also like their more worshipful second collaboration, Strength of My Life.



Here's some more of their songs that the "World" has accepted without needing to label it "Christian" or rejecting it because it is by Christians.
Sleeping Awake from The Matrix: Reloaded
Rock the Party from Pay It Forward
School of Hard Knocks from Little Nicky
Whatever It Takes from Any Given Sunday
Murder One from D.O.P.E.
Booyaka 619 theme song of wrestler Rey Misterio
Chargers theme song of the Sandiego Chargers
Lights Out from the Pontiac Garage promotional video series

Other official Videos
Change the World
Will You
Youth of the Nation
Good-Bye for Now
Boom
Satellite
Addicted
Going in Blind
Southtown
When Angels and Serpents Dance
Selah

So, is there such a thing as Christian music?  I don't think so.  Art is art.  Subject matter may vary but the content is what determines if we will assimilate it into our walk, or leave it by the wayside.  And that can be said of art that has no Christian origins at all.

No comments: