Saturday, October 16, 2010

Extraordinarily Deep Thoughts III



An oldie but a goodie.  Growing up I had no idea there was a world of Christian music that existed outside the hymnal.  My mom would listen to country gospel music, but I could never connect with it.  It always seemed so hokey and out of date to me.  I was embarrassed by it.  One day, at camp, (I know I said I never went to camp in a previous post so I will have to issue a disclaimer on my next post) I heard this CD playing in the background while our speaker and worship leader were setting up equipment.  I liked it.  I connected with it.  And, most surprising to me, it was a Christian band playing relevant Christian music.  When I got home from camp I went out and bought Jars of Clay's self titled debut, and hid it from my family, embarrassed that I even owned a Christian CD.  Songs like Flood and Liquid got air time on the radio but this is the song that stood out to me.  It was the first time I remember feeling a passion or desire to love God.  I think this song marks the beginning of my transition from head to heart as a Christian.

No comments: