Friday, April 29, 2011

Rubber, Meet Road

So Heavenly minded, no Earthly good.

I'm sure I've been that person at some point in time.  I'm trying to change.  And I have been changing.  It has been said that faith without works is dead.  I'd like to change that to faith without works isn't faith at all.  Coincidently, C&C is starting a 10 week look at the book of James which is very much a rubber meets the road kind of book.

Over the last 6 months or so I have been looking for places to put my faith into action.  I have been praying a lot more and helping with worship at church but I also want to start more tangible expressions of my faith beyond the church world.  I've helped an older couple move, I've started sponsoring a foster child, and I've been donating money to a lot of worthy charities.  All that is good, but I feel like there's more in me to give.  I'm trying to figure out what that "more" is.  I know people that help others living on the streets or suffering with addictions and that is great, but it doesn't feel like that is what I am meant to do.  I'm not trying to make excuses but that kind of thing just doesn't flow out of me.  I am trying to discern what my (spiritual) gifts are and where they should be applied.  It feels like it is taking too long, but at least the ball is rolling.  Until I have things all figured out, I will continue to experiment with different opportunities and find the place where I feel I fit.

I think it is great we are going through James now.  Perfect timing.  Rubber, meet road.

No comments: