Saturday, July 9, 2011

VBS Day 5

:(

I can't believe it's over.  It felt like it was just starting.  I was just getting to know the kids.  I was just getting to know the leaders.  It's a real possibility I won't see any of the people who passed through my life this week for another year.  That makes me sad.  They are so awesome.  Frick.  I'm not good at good byes.  I'll do a post about that later.

Today was good.

After everything was finished today, the organizers ordered pizza and we did a bit of a decompression lunch and then cleaned up.  You know you are surrounded by an amazing group of people when even the clean up is fun.  I volunteered to sweep the gym.  One of the kids, a daughter of one of our leaders, asked if she could clean the floor with me.  How often do you hear kids asking to help clean up anything?  It was special to me.  I have a lot of those little special moments stored in my memory banks from this week.  Today one of the boys from the games came and sat down beside me while our intrepid leader was explaining some rules.  It was special to me because I was not sitting with the other kids, but off to the side to keep on eye on everyone, and yet this boy went out of his way to come sit by me.  It may sound strange but some of my favourite times were taking kids to the first aid station and putting band-aids on them.  I know that sounds a little morbid, but you can't organize games for 150 kids and not have a few scratches and bruises.  The band aid time gave me a few moments to just be one on one with some of the children and chat about "life" and what they were up to, how they were enjoying the games, and things on their minds.  As the week went on I found it was the kids I had brought to the first aid station that were starting to gravitate towards me more and more.  That was special to me.

And now it's over.  I miss everyone already.  I'm not good with these feelings.  They're relatively new to me.  I'm not sure how to handle them.

I will definitely be back next year.

No comments: