Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gilmore Girls

Not that I need to justify myself, but my brother has actually made a video of me watching Gilmore Girls which I suppose he plans to use at a future date for nefarious purposes.  I thought I would get a jump on him and diffuse whatever embarrassment he is planning on creating.

So without further adieu, this is why I like Gilmore Girls.  I can relate.  I know most of the characters are females, but they are comically honest characatchers of real life people.  In a way, I see different aspects of myself and people I know reflected back to me through the inhabitants of Stars Hollow and area.

Lorelei  - She is the sometimes crazy me.  When I start to feel comfortable enough with people, my inner Lorelei starts to come out.

Rory - I can relate to her a lot.  She is the me growing up.  She is the smart kid who doesn't really have a lot of friends but doesn't really mind.  She is intelligent, top of her class, and would rather spend her time with a good book, than a pointless relationship.  The only thing I could never understand is why all these random guys seem to be instantly drawn to her.  I suppose it furthers the plot, but that is where Rory and I differ.  That and I'm actually rather athletic.

Luke - Luke reminded me a lot of myself as well.  A bit of a loner, but hard working, loyal, honest, and dependable.  He may be a little rough around the edges, but he's down to earth and always there for his friends and family. He is also not a fan of traditions and ceremony. Ya, that's me.

Dean - Although Dean wasn't in the series all the way to the end, the early Dean reminded me of myself quite a bit.  He was also a bit of a loner, but basically had good intentions and an honest disposition.  He held down a job while going to school and never complained.  He seemed to me like a young Luke.

Jess - Not so much me.  He was a good hearted guy hiding behind the persona of a jerk.  Although we are different, I can relate to the idea of hiding behind a mask to protect the real me from the possibility of pain or rejection.  He had one particular line that really resonated with me.  I may share that line at a later date.

Tristan and Logan - Nada.  I'm not the rich kid, party animal, or womanizer.  I really didn't like those guys growing up, and I knew a few.  To Logan's credit, he did mature as the series concluded.

Paris - Also not me.  However, I did know one person as anal and dictatorial as her.

Sookie - The continually bubbly personality, is me, sometimes.  I guess that defeats the purpose of saying, "continually".  I am fairly laid back and it takes a lot to upset me.  Like Sookie, I do have occasional times of paranoia over the smallest of circumstances.  I also have a bit of a food addiction.  For the record, I am not as clumsy as Sookie.

Jackson - He is the sometimes peevish produce producing perfectionist.  He is somewhat dumpy and odd, but likeable, loyal and caring.  I can see a little of myself in him.

Lane - I am a big music fan, like Lane.  I also grew up in a Christian home, but I really did not like the portrayal of the overly controlling and stereotypical "Christian" home Lane grew up in on the series.  Having said that, there are shades of truth from my earlier childhood found in that home.  My parents have mellowed out somewhat as I grew up, but I can relate.  I suppose if Lorelei was the freedom parent, her foil was Lane's mom, Mrs. Kim, the controlling parent.

Mrs. Patty, Kirk, Babette and Morey were always more comic relief than main characters but I could definitely see a little of Kirk in me.  He was a late bloomer and about as comfortable with the ladies as I am, but even Kirk ended up with a girlfriend so I suppose there's hope for me.

If I had to break it all down I'd say I'm
30% Luke
20% Rory
15% Dean
10% Lorelei
8% Lane
5% Kirk
5% Sookie
5% Jackson
2% Jess

But all that means I am really just 100% me.

1 comment:

matt said...

I've never seen but brief snippets of the show. All I really know is the the mom and daughter talk really fast...but I do love 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' (and its spinoff, 'Angel'), mostly for the characters, as you've mentioned.

That said, it's always a good exercise to recognize the parts of ourselves we see in others, both the positive and not-so-pretty-parts.