Monday, March 5, 2012

Super Sneak Preview

This Saturday C&C is doing a coffee house. The organizers have asked that anyone interested in doing some sort of performance art or presentation sign up and do their thing on that night. Normally I shy away from taking the spotlight, however this last year and a half has been all about me stepping out of the shadows, breaking the mold, getting out of my rut and experiencing a little more of life than before. So I signed up. I never do anything in half steps either. I have decided to perform 3 songs from 3 of the biggest acts in Rock and Roll history. This will either be completely awesome or devastatingly mediocre.

I will use this blog post to offer clues for any readers from C&C who want an advance idea of what to expect. I will update it daily.

1. Each band is from a different continent.
2. Each band rose to fame in the 70's.
3. Each of the 3 (or 4) songs was recorded in the 70's.
4. Female monarchy, electrical current, romantic exchange.
5...

Time to praise the Lord, make some big noise
Praying in the street, see what Psalm 150 says
You've got cymbals and a beat
Guitars and dancing feet
Rock and Roll worship belong in this place

(Singing) We will, We will rock you

Time to praise the Lord, make some big noise
Using Rock and Roll to sing my saviour's praise
If we stay silent
The rocks will praise riot
So turn it to 11 and share God's grace

(Singing) We will, We will rock you



Living easy, living free
Since I learned to give away my pride
Asked Jesus, forgive me
Forgive every sin that's in my life

Not by works, not this time
Ain't nothing that I could do
Saved by grace, simple faith
My friends I want to share with you

(Well, Jesus) Saved me from Hell

Well Jesus paid my dues
At the cross He died for me and you
So Satan, get behind me
I'm done playing by all your rules

Starting now, I belong
To the one who holds the world in His hands
Hey momma, look at me
I'm on the way to the promised land

(Cuz Jesus) Saved me from Hell

I'm not going down

Jesus Saved me from Hell


They knew Moses and the things of God
The 10 commandments and the Jewish law
Pharisees asked Christ which one's the greatest

Jesus said you wanna know where it is?
Try Deuteronomy, chapter 6
Look at verse 5, you'l find it Pharisee

You read about, You need to shout it

I love the Lord with all my might, my heart and everything

The people came to Jesus Christ all the while
They looked for answers and they liked his style
Please tell us Lord which law's the next best

Love the Lord with everything you've got
Jesus said well that's my first law
The second is to love your neighbour

Don't even doubt it, you need to shout it

I love the Lord with all my might, my heart and everything


Wearing shirts must have been difficult back then.

Update (The day after): I did it. I was so nervous. My fingers were tingling and I couldn't control my voice.  Wow, I really don't like being in the spotlight. I blanked half way through a solo and had to improvise the rest and by the end I'm pretty sure I sung the last song completely off key. But I survived. And, although I was definitely the least polished act, I had way more fun. If I could have hid off stage and just been miked I would have performed better but there's something electric about the interaction between the audience and the performer, and although I wasn't in top form, I think we had some chemistry going. It was fun, and I never want to do that again. :)

Oh, ya. I thought there would be about 40-50 people there. It was closer to 150.

Up next: Dance Lessons... (What have I done?)


3 comments:

Mr. C.C. said...

Where and what time? I already know two of them! ;)

Clinton said...

Ebenezer at 7pm this Saturday.
I think you may have to buy a ticket but they may still sell them at the door. I'm not sure on that though.

Matthew said...

Sounds like a good time. Performing is a great exercise! Glad you had a good time. The more we take steps like that the more we see that fear actually can't stop us from doing anything. Kudos.

I recommend Salsa dancing. Super fun;)