Sunday, March 25, 2012

Making A Difference

I have worked with a lot of youth through my life. Sometimes as a youth myself and sometimes as a "mature" adult. Some of these kids have lived lives much more difficult than my own. Others have had it pretty good. I always wonder where these kids are now. I know many are now adults. I still keep in touch with some. I still pray for them. All of them. Often I wonder if I have really made a difference in their lives. I wonder if they are better off because I was in their lives briefly trying to be the best follower of Jesus I knew how to be. And sometimes there are pleasant little surprises that pop up in my life because of the work I've done in the past.

Several weeks ago at the coffee house, I ran into a former youth, now adult, from one of the youth groups I ran back in the day. Actually this person was too young to be in the youth group at the time. His older brother was involved but he tagged along when he could. I spent a lot of time with their family outside of my official duties. We talked and chatted a bit and things seemed to be good. I am happy that he is continuing to follow Jesus and seems to be on a good path.

Tonight I went out for supper with my old friends from the North, who I've mentioned several times in previous entries. Completely coincidentally, the entire family of this young man were sitting at the table across from ours. I haven't seen the rest of the family in almost 10 years. It was so good to see them, even if it was only briefly. We said our hellos and did the hand shake thing, but honestly, I wish I was a little more brave and went in for a hug. It was sooooooo good to see them again. The father told me something that almost made me cry. He said that the years I worked with their kids were some of their best years. He told me I made such an impact on his kids and his whole family and he thanked me for the role I played in their lives. Wow.

Like I said, sometimes I wonder if I have really made a difference at all in the lives of the people I have poured myself into. Tonight was an amazing confirmation for me. I know not everyone has had an easy path to follow but I pray that they are better off because of the brief time I had to love them and show them the way.

Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

That's awesome. Those moments of encouragement and confirmation can really give us some fresh inspiration.

Keep making a positive difference!