Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Down

Have you ever felt a little down in the dumps?

Right now there is a big thing, a medium thing, and a lot of little things that have me feeling down.

First, a guy I used to work with died in an accident.  I didn't know him too well, but I've known him for five years.  He's only a few years older than me.  It was a shock.  There are few people I know who I would describe as indestructible, but this guy seemed to be one of them.  I'm not in mourning because we were never really close but I am in shock.  Life seems so much more fragile now.  I have noticed I haven't been as up as I usually am.

I have a family member in an extremely stressful situation.  It's something that I can't really help resolve which frustrates me.  As a guy, I want to fix things, but all I can do right now is watch from a distance.  It is so frustrating watching my family member become so frustrated, heading for a self induced fall and not doing what it takes to make the situation better.

Work has become busier.  Longer shifts.  More awkward shifts.  Less time at home.  Less time for the little things in life I need to do.  I've missed church because of work.  I've missed youthgroup because of work.  I've missed C&C for 2 weeks because of work and now I'm going to miss tomorrow night as well.  I was supposed to help with worship.  I've been practicing all week and now I feel like something important to me is unavailable to me because of work.

My pastor just resigned.

My lawn was vandalized.

All these things seem to build on each other.  Taken bit by bit, I can deal with them.  But when they all happen at the same time I start to feel down.

Looking at what I've just written I think the common element in everything is the loss of control.  They are things that have happened beyond my control, that I want to change but can't.  And this has left me feeling kind of down.

Right now I'm sitting here wondering what to do.  Maybe nothing.  Maybe pray, I suppose.

Lord, please help.  Amen.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

I hope you start to feel better soon, as I know the 'down in the dumps' feeling very intimately and frequently.

"They are things that have happened beyond my control, that I want to change but can't. And this has left me feeling kind of down."

Prayer can be a great place to go in these times, depending on what our intentions are. How do you see prayer? What does it mean to you? Perhaps you could take a request and write a post about that if you've not done so already;)

Clinton said...

Request accepted. Although it may take a while.

I like what Randall said, and he was probably quoting someone else, that prayer changes the person praying, not necessarily the circumstances around the person. However, I still believe in prayer affecting the world beyond myself.

So a little of both.