Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Pursuit of Better

I went out for "coffee" with a "deep" man on the weekend.
And by "coffee" I mean "donuts".
And by "deep" I mean "deep", "thoughtful", "searching", "wise", "knowledgeable", and other such things.

We talked for 3 hours. It was good. One of the thoughts that came up was his pursuit of better. Simply stated, in all our lives there are areas we could improve on, and want to improve on. And so he is actively pursuing a level that is better than where he is currently at. I decided I want to run with that idea as well. Some areas of my life are very easy to improve on. Some areas I have taken real action to bring improvement. However, the one area of my life I want to develop, seems so difficult because it is not tangible. How does one improve spiritually? I remember an old Sunday School song from back in the day...

Read your bible, pray every day, pray every day, pray every day
Read your bible, pray every day, and you'll grow, grow, grow


I've got the prayer part down (although there's always room for improvement). But it's the reading my bible daily that I always seem to struggle with. And what other ways are there to grow spiritually? James (the guy from the bible, possibly Jesus' brother) says, "Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

That's about it for now.

I'm pursuing better.

No comments: