Friday, December 21, 2012

The Longest Night

Dear Diary,

Today is my favourite day of the year. Winter Solstice. I'm sure that doesn't make sense to most people but for me it marks a turning point every year. Today is the day with the least amount of light all year, which also makes it the day with the longest night too. From this point on, for the next 6 months or so, every day will get a little longer. Every night will get a little shorter. And that's why it's my favourite day of the year.

Not much has been going on in my life lately, a few Christmas parties, confirmation from work that I'm getting a new position with a much better schedule, and a few new video games.

I've had a few tiny blessings and opportunities come along. I've rewired an oven and did some minor plumbing and all without destroying anything. I'm rather proud of myself. I received a large gift of very expensive chocolates from some of my clients. It made my day. Usually it's the business owner giving gifts to the clients to keep them loyal (an altruistic "gift" of self promotion).  However this honestly made my day, for my clients to tell me I've treated them so well they wanted to return the favour. I finished all my shopping a week ago. I have no need to step inside a store for anything until next year. Thank goodness. The stores are crazy.

Sometime between now and Christmas I plan on watching one of my favourite Christmas movies, A Muppet Christmas Carol. It's funny and heart warming and, although I'm not a huge fan of musicals, the songs are amazing and get stuck in your head for days afterward. And maybe I'll watch my second favourite Christmas movie too. Die Hard.

Later



1 comment:

Curtis said...

I just watched Home Alone on Christmas eve.