Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Weekend

I took a few punches this weekend. I also dished them out. A few rough and tumbles too. I have a new collection of bruises. My body is sore and my brain is tired. All in all, it was a good weekend.

I just got back from a youth retreat and it was awesome. Working with youth gives me so much energy. I know that doesn't quite make sense, especially to people who don't really enjoy hanging around with a bunch of teens and preteens, but that's how I work. And all that rough stuff I mentioned up top, that was all part of the fun and games. There's no reason to be concerned.

I've thought a lot about God's will in my life over the past year. What does God want me to do? I can't say I have a specific ten point list but I am reasonably sure of some things. One of those things is that I am supposed to work with youth. It is such a part of who I am, I wouldn't be me if I didn't. That's how I know (or maybe why I believe) that I am to work with youth. I trust that God has given me a desire. I trust that fulfilling that desire is God's will. It's that simple. I used to make it more complicated than that but sometimes the simple answer is the right answer.

And so, I am back home, tired and sore, but good.

I pray that somehow, despite my own insecurities and shortcomings, the youth I spent the weekend with are better off and closer to God because of the divine appointment this weekend. I pray that they know love and acceptance and that the friendships we all had before this weekend just got a little stronger, and a little deeper.

Amen.

No comments: