Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas

I have a  lot of thoughts on Christmas.

This is just one of them.

I have decided to do something for Christmas that is a little unusual.

I am not buying any presents for anyone.

Yep, I just said that. It makes everything so much easier.  There's no stress involved with shopping in the madness, or driving in the madness, or trying to find parking in the madness, or making sure I haven't forgotten anyone. I will have no crazy bills in the new year as a result of a buying binge.

I didn't think my decision would be so shocking, but as I shared my decision with different people, I realized that it is difficult for some to comprehend a presentless Christmas. Their reactions have intrigued me.

Some thought I meant I just wasn't buying presents for co-workers or people outside my family.
Some thought I would be donating to charities in the names of those I would buy normally have bought presents for.
Some thought I am just a grinch.

Here's my reasoning...

Of the people in my life that tradition would dictate I should buy for, no one needs anything.  Most of the presents given at Christmas time are not really needed.  They end up at next year's garage sale, or in storage somewhere.

Of the actual useful items that could be given, the recipient probably doesn't actually want it, or they would have bought it for themselves already.

The idea of giving to charity in lieu of presents is probably closer to the true meaning of Christmas. I do give to charities as much as I can, both time and money, but not because it's Christmas.  For me, giving happens all year round.

Of all my memories of Christmas presents growing up, only one still stands out to me. (My nintendo when I was 9.)  Most I can't even remember. And of the ones I do remember, most were not really needed or wanted, and ceased to be used shortly after Christmas. I don't want to contribute to the commercialization and materialism that Christmas is known for. The things I do remember are the people, not the things.

So here's to you, readers, hoping you have memorable people hanging around you this season.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I've thought about this, too. It's a pretty reasonable reaction, I think. You're definitely bucking cultural norms and there shall be consequences but I can see how it could be good to try it out for this year, if you really want, and see what happens and if your perspective changes and you can always reevaluate for next year:)