Saturday, November 26, 2011

Rest

Through a series of scheduling anomalies, days off, days on call and a company Christmas party I have just had 6 days of nothing to do.  No work.  No work related items.  No side business duties.  Anything I did, I did because I was free to do it, not because I had to do it.

I never realized how much I needed to rest until my days off began.  I slept for 12 hours.  I never, ever, ever sleep that long.  And it was good.  I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I was able to relieve myself of all the expectations placed on me by my responsibilities in life.  Before my time off I don't think I would have said I was tired or needed a break, but that's because I couldn't see outside my circumstances.  I didn't know that there was something I was missing because I didn't know what I didn't know.

Jesus said, "Come to Me all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

I don't believe He was speaking of a physical burden so much as a spiritual burden.  We all carry this burden with us, whether we know it or not. Some people have experienced this rest.  Other's have no idea they are carrying a burden.  They can't comprehend this abundant life Jesus brings because they haven't experienced it yet.  It's like a catch 22.  You won't know what it's like until you know what it's like.

This physical rest reminded me of the spiritual rest Jesus brings and I just thought I would sit back and think about it for a while.  I'm thankful that I have received it and hopeful that others will too.

No comments: