Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hugs Hugs Hugs

Ok, here we go.  There's something special about touch.  You know it's true.

I've heard many anecdotal stories of babies in orphanages dying from lack of touch but those that were held grew strong and healthy.  I can't find any official documentation but I have also heard the similar things for the elderly living in retirement homes.  Physical touch improves health and decreases depression.  Now unfortunately I'm rather shy, and I don't socialize all that often so I am not really in contact with many people. When I started thinking about this I realized it is possible for me to go weeks without actually touching another human being.  That's kind of sad.  Then I started wondering what are the possible ramifications for my health and overall well being.  Probably not very good.  I have said previously I am excited about my life because I feel that I am at the beginning of a new adventure, a fresh start after years of being in a stagnant, introverted prison.  I am actively working to change those things in my life that need changing.  This is one of those things.  I am not a touchy feely person, but I am working to change that.

So, I know that there are some people out there reading this.  I don't know who you all are but I have a homework assignment for you.  I would like you to hug me the next time you see me.  To motivate you, I promise there will be health benefits in it for yourself.

I think this will be kinda fun.  Image going through your everyday life with random people hugging you.  Hey, I could get used to this.

Anyway, thanks in advance to those who accept the challenge.

No comments: