Sunday, February 16, 2014

Whatever It Takes

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

I went through a bout of depression. I was not the type of person who ever thought I would suffer through something like that. I generally thought people who were depressed were just weak minded. And then it caught me. What was the cure? I can't really say there was a cure. There were things I had to do to make myself better though.

I had to get out of bed (no matter how much I wanted to stay under the covers all day).
I had to eat regular meals (even if I didn't feel hungry most times).
I had to brush my teeth, shower, shave, and get dressed (no matter how much I wanted to stay in my pajamas all day and not face the world).
I had to have a goal for the day (even if it was something simple like doing laundry).
I had to go to bed at a regular time and sleep.

I had to force myself into the mold of a routine that resembled a normal life until I took on the shape of the mold again. That's the abbreviated story of a short span of my life. However, it's a good lesson for anyone wanting to make a change to their lives. You have to do whatever it takes to make the change or you will continue in old patterns.

No comments: