Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sabotage

Sabotage is an intentional act to undermine a goal or purpose.

I wonder how many times we sabotage ourselves, intentionally or unintentionally. Years ago I came across Dr. Phil's weight loss book. I only remember one thing from my casual skimming and that was not to sabotage your eating. If you want to lose weight, don't have a gallon of ice cream sitting in your freezer. (As I write this I am quite aware of the 5 gallon commercial tub of Cookies and Cream ice cream crammed in my freezer.) If you want a new job, wear a tie to the interview. Don't show up in ripped jeans. To do so is to sabotage your chances of success.

I think many times I set out to achieve a goal and then do something that decreases my chances of success or don't do something that could increase my chances for success. Results don't magically happen by themselves. Effort must be taken to reach your goals. And sometimes effort requires being cognizant of actions, ideas, or other things that may be sabotaging your progress.


No comments: