Monday, October 25, 2010

The Elephant and the Post

A man travelling through India was amazed to see all the elephants used to move heavy objects, barrels, boxes, trees, for their masters.  What amazed him more was that at night, these massive animals were tied to a small post in the ground with a flimsy rope, and yet they never tried to escape or run away although they could easily break the rope or snap the post.  The man asked one of the handlers why the elephants don't escape.  The handler told the man that since the elephants were very little, they were tied to the post with the flimsy rope.  They did try escape back then but they were too small and the post held firm.  As they grew up they stopped trying to escape.  The elephants accepted the fact that the post and rope could never be broken.  Now, here they were, giants of muscle and strength, and they were still held in place by a post and rope.  In reality, it wasn't the post or rope holding them any more, it was the lie that they accepted that held them captive.

I don't know much about the pachyderm freight moving industry so it's possible that this story isn't true at all.  In that case, consider it a fable.  There is still a lesson in there somewhere.  I think we all have posts in our lives.  I know I have a lot in my mine.  These tiny little lies, which we've accepted, hold us captive.  But the good news is we are bigger, stronger, faster and smarter than these lies.  Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.  We don't have to be captive any more.

In an effort to escape some of my posts, the lies that I've accepted and allowed to hold me captive, I thought I would share some of them with you.

1.  I can't dance-  I can dance.  I may dance horribly.  I may have no rhythm.  I might never have a spontaneous ring of supporters form around me at a dance off, but I can dance.

2.  I can't cook-  I can cook.  Actually, I've been breaking down this post for a couple months now.  I will never eat another pizza pop as long as I shall live.

3.  People don't want to spend time with me-  This is an unfortunate carry over from my younger years.  As a shy, scared introvert, I just assumed this was true all the time.  I kept myself a lot more isolated than I would have liked.  Just like a reflex, I find myself still doing this today.  However, I am aware of it, and I am working on breaking down this lie.  It will probably take me a longer time to break than the dancing thing, but I will break it.  I am determined to meet people, make friends, increase my circle of relationships.  On a side note, if anyone out there actually reads this, I sure wouldn't mind you inviting me out somewhere.  I would appreciate it a lot, and I would try to return the favour.  I'm still working on this whole how to be a friend thing.  Also, give me a hug while you're at it.  Thanks.

That's probably enough for now.

You may have posts in your life too.  If you do, you probably know what they are.  Just fill in the blank.  I will never _____________.   Now, go prove yourself wrong.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well technically everyone can dance!LOL Cooking is a good skill to have but what's wrong with pizza pops?!

I'm sure you'd be a valuable friend to have around as long as you talk sometimes. Think of it this way; you've had more time alone to read/ learn/think then the average person so now you have a duty to pass on your wisdom!

Through these articles you've pointed out your flaws and asked for help from those you trust and that's exactly what's gonna help you get unstuck! I used to love hugging people but I got turned down too many times so eventually I stopped. Would you let me know how well this hug invitation works out for you!

Clinton said...

I'm pretty sure technically I can't dance. I spasm on time.

I lived off pizza pops for far too long while living up north. I just can't take them any more.

Wisdom? I like that. I honestly feel like I'm just at the beginning of a great adventure. I'm just beginning to collect wisdom.

Well, it appears the majority of my readers are in the US so no hugs yet.