Sunday, October 24, 2010

Boxes

Here's a funny clip from Mark Gungor that only slightly relates to what I want to talk about.  Boxes.  A longer version can be found here



Men and women aside, I think people in general do take the items in our lives and put them in a box.  A box for each item.  A box for God.  It is quite popular in Christianity today to make claims that "we" or "they" are putting God in a box.  That is to say, limitting God, or confining God to our limitted understanding.  I'm using the term a little differently.  By boxes I am referring to the compartmentalization of our lives.  That's why it is so easy for Sunday morning Christians, to cheat on their taxes, spouse or final exam.  God is in one box, their marriage in another, their wallet in another, and so on.  No box exerts any influence on another box.  I know I've been guilty of that, and still am, but I am aware of it now, and so I have no excuses.  I have been reading through The Invitation by Eugene H Peterson.  In it he speaks about the early Hebrew nation and their culture.  It was all about God.  Work was about God.  Play was about God.  Life was praise to God.  That is so much different than life today, but I don't think it has to be.  I don't know how this is going to all play out in my life but I've decided to rearrange my boxes.  God is the box I want to place all other boxes in.  Now that I've written that, I've changed my mind.  I want God to be the only box.  I want to dump the contents of all the other boxes into the one box and be done with it.  Everything is God's, and nothing is separate from anything else.  That is a scary thought.  New Beginnings.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great concept, dump the contents of all the other boxes into the "God" box! So what's the solution for my female brain coat all the wires with God thoughts, sounds like a much more lengthy process.

I've heard this video a few times and the nothing box bothers me everytime! Not only am I shocked and amazed that it really does exist but I've had conversations with guys about this supposed nothing box!

Clinton said...

I have never heard of a "nothing box" until this video, but it's funny because it accurately describes a place I like to go sometimes. However, it's not my favourite place to go. I don't want to speak on behalf for all males though.

Unknown said...

Huh, so you could really relate to this video then?!