Sunday, April 7, 2013

Big Appetite

Dear Diary,

I think I have bitten off more than I can chew, metaphorically. The problem is, I have a big appetite, metaphorically... And literally, but this is about the metaphor.

I decided to renovate a house. And by renovate I mean completely gut and rebuild. As it turns out, it is a little more involving than I thought. I'm almost at the halfway point and I'm exhausted. I can't say I'm a handy man by nature, more by design, and effort. A lot of effort. It's not a skill that comes naturally to me, but besides eating, most of the skills I possess did not come naturally to me. I had to work on them and practice a lot. This house is very demanding because there is a steep learning curve and I don't exactly want my attempt at roofing or removing a supporting wall to be "practice". I kinda want it to be professional grade. Like my literal appetite, sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach.

Oh well. That's how I grow as a person. If I always stayed within my comfort zone (which was infinitesimally small growing up) I would not have gone away to school. I would not have taken flying lessons or scuba lessons or gone skydiving or swimming with sharks or even write a blog for that matter. I would not be the person I am today. And I like me, big appetite and all.

No comments: