Monday, January 21, 2013

The Girl

I met a girl recently. When I say girl, I mean a girl. She was in her mid teens. Her glasses where held together with tape. It wasn't a recent fix. They seemed to have been like that for a while and they will probably be like that for a while longer. Her hair was nothing fancy. Pulled back and hidden by her headscarf. We talked briefly about her family situation. It wasn't good. Two of her three siblings where involved in things that had caused trouble and brought separation to her family. All three had left school after grade 9 and she wanted to  do the same but her parents wouldn't let her. One of her brothers moved back in on the couch. One of her brothers was in jail. Other family members were staying with their family too, until they could get back on their feet. Their home was not that big. I ended up giving her a ride home that night. I know this city fairly well and I had no idea anyone still lived in the area she did. Most of the homes have been condemned and torn down. I didn't think any were still liveable. She told me she expects that the last remaining houses will be torn down soon. She's not sure where her family will end up. It was a sad situation.

But she knew Jesus. And she appeared to be so full of life. Almost too full of life for the circumstances that surrounded her. I found it very interesting.

Some people believe becoming a Christian includes God giving them everything they want and protecting them from every bad situation. I don't. I know a group of guys who knew Jesus personally and their lives did not end up all sunshine and rainbows. I don't recall God ever promising us to be our own person genie in a bottle. I do remember Jesus promising to be with us always if we do His will, regardless of circumstances. Even in the bad circumstances.

Occasionally, when I remember, I pray for her.

That's my story for the day.

No comments: