Monday, July 9, 2012

VBS Wrap

VBS was great again this year. I'm always amazed to see all the people who volunteer, who take time off work, who sacrifice some of their vacation to make it go so smoothly. These people deserve a hand.

I pray that the message we tried to impart to the kids sticks. I pray that we were real. I pray that God was revealed to the kids through the messages, songs, stories, games, bible verses and through our actions. I pray that a seed was planted.

I have noticed a huge difference in me between this year and last year. Last year I was more of an assistant and behind the scenes kind of guy, helping with games. This year I was very much in an upfront and lead kind of role. I played a secret agent who was in charge of training all our juniour agents through on stage stunts (using mostly willing volunteers) and I was also responsible for teaching the kids the memory verses during our open sessions in the sanctuary. When everyone broke into smaller groups I was part of a story telling team.  We told biblical stories to the kids that illustrated the theme of each day. It was good. It definitely allowed me to be more myself, even though it was more of a spotlight role. One of the biggest changes in me I noticed though was during song times. I was not afraid or self conscious to do the actions to the songs. I don't know when that changed but it was definitely different than how I felt last year. (check out the excerpt in this entry about doing actions to songs) Overall, I felt much more free. I knew people this year. I even remembered some of the kids from last year as well. It was great. Working with kids is really a part of who I am. I will be back next year, and the year after, and the year after...

No comments: