Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saying Good Bye

I don't like good-byes.

For several reasons.

The first is that I'm not a hugely over emotional guy and so I'm sure I come across as insincere or indifferent when I'm saying good-bye. I'm not hugging everybody or crying or all that other stuff. I don't know why but I am able to put parts of my life on pause, and then resume again when things pick up where they left off. For me good byes seem pointless. It's more of a see you later. And that's why it doesn't feel as emotional to me as I'm sure it does to other people.

Secondly, I take a long time to get to know people, and be known by people. I think part of that is because I like a lot of alone time. So, I could meet a new person the same time as someone else, and over the space of a month they could become best of friends while I'd still feel like a stranger. In the context of good-byes, rarely do I ever feel like I know the person as well as virtually everyone else saying good-bye. I feel almost like an impostor intruding on someone else's private moment.

And finally, there are rare cases where I do know the person well. And that person knows me well. And there is no chance of a good-bye / see you later. It really is good bye. That is the worst case scenario for me because there are so few of those people in my life and they are very valuable to me. Those times are very pivotal to me, and they do affect me, and I do get emotional. I don't like the hurt those moments bring.

And that's why I don't like good-byes.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I want to affirm what you're pointing to, that goodbyes don't need to be sad or overly emotional at all in order to be meaningful.

Saying goodbye can simply be an opportunity to express gratitude to someone and that's a beautiful thing, whether it really is 'good bye' or only a 'see you later.'