Sunday, March 13, 2011

What To Do?

I have a friend named "Ken".

Ken's morality is very different than mine.  I find his morality is almost hedonistic.  His decisions tend to be very near sighted and very self centered.  He tends to make decisions based on instant gratification and makes excuses for his actions later.  It is difficult for me to understand the choices he makes because I am so different.

Ken is now involved in a series of decisions that I see as morally wrong.  Now, I don't want to start an entire debate on morality here (yet) but there is a self destructive tendency to the path Ken is taking.  Ken would call himself a Christian but his decisions seem very contrary to Christianity.  I will be honest and say that if one is not a Christian, or of no particular religion, one probably would not have a problem with the path Ken is going down.  However, it hurts me to see him hurting himself and creating the possibility of hurting others, while doing mental gymnastics to justify his self centered behaviour.  It hurts me to see someone claim to be a follower of Jesus, a Christian, and live a life so far from God.

So, what to do?

Pray.

Pray that his relationship with God would grow and develop.  I really don't care to pray that Ken would stop doing what he is doing.  Living out a certain behaviour without the foundation for that behaviour is pointless and I don't want Ken to merely "act" a certain way.  I am praying that Ken's life will flow out of his relationship with God.  I believe that living out a life centered on God brings real change, not superficial change.  As an old proverb goes, "A person convinced against his will is of the same mind still."  As much as I want to point out the error of his ways, without a real relationship with God, nothing will really change.

1 comment:

Sharon Kent said...

It seems we all are on differing and varied paths on our journey of life. Praying and being a good example to your friend will go so much further than pointing out the error of his ways, as you said. His relationship with God is different from yours, as is mine and everyone around you. We make our own decisions, and live with the results. When we are convicted of our wrong-doing and we repent, only then will we go on to the next grace-filled growth step in our faith...each of us on our own path to God.

I appreciate your transparency on here, Clinton! Keep on...